Apples In A Blanket
I came across this recipe by another blogger. I thought it was quite genius. Simple and delicious. Perfect party fare. Check out her blog; do you not just love her with a name like this?? her blog is: www.justgetoffyourbuttandbake.com Her name is Jonna. Go sister! Do you find it daunting sometimes to come up with a recipe to bring to party? Sure, you can bring brownies or cookies. I just thought this was such a darn cute idea. These are perfect finger party food. If you want to guild the lilly you could make some salted caramel sauce and dip them in caramel. Yum.
Apples In A Blanket
(yield: 16 apple bites)
(recipe adapted from Jonna at www.justgetoffyourbuttandbake.com)
Your favorite pie crust recipe. (enough for a double crust pie) (See my recipe for “Fearless pie crust” if you need a recipe).
2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, and cut with an apple core/slicer to equal 16 equal pieces.
1-2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Cup sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl place the apple wedges and toss with the lemon juice; this is to prevent the apples from oxidizing. Take 1/2 cup of the sugar-cinnamon mixture and combine with the apples. Reserve the rest of the 1/2 cup sugar mixture for step 4 of the recipe.
3. Roll out your pie dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut strips of dough about 2 1/2 inches wide x 4 inches long. Place each apple wedge at the end of and on top of one strip of pie dough and roll up like a pig in a blanket. Pinch the end where the crust comes together to form a seal.
4. Take each “apple blanket” and roll in the reserved sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place each apple blanket on a parchment lined baking sheet or Silpat lined baking sheet to prevent sticking. Chill for 30 minutes. Brush each apple blanket with heavy cream. Sprinkle with more cinnamon-sugar.
5. Bake the blankets at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes or until they are golden brown. Cool and serve.