I’ve never been a fan of candy corn because they are too sweet for my taste, but I can’t resist these cute little cookies. Get one of your little goblins to help you press the cookie dough into the pan.
Candy Corn Cookies
(These are 2 bite mini cookies; about 1 1/2 inches)
Recipe: yields about 6 dozen
Basic sugar cookie recipe for cutout cookies
3 Cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks cold butter
1 Cup sugar + 2 tsp.
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
“orange” gel paste food coloring
“egg yellow” gel paste food
1. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle blade beat the cold butter until softer and pliable. Add in the sugar and beat until smooth. Add the extracts and egg and mix to combine. Stop the mixer to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined. The dough will be crumbly; remove if from the bowl and press together any loose bits of dough to combine.
3. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. If you have a scale this is easier to do. You will find it easier to switch over to grams and divide the dough into 3 equal parts. Color two of the 3 parts by adding a drop at a time to each dough to color one orange and the other yellow.
4. Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap. Starting with the non colored dough press the dough into the bottom of the lined pan. Top that with the yellow cookie dough and press into place so it is flat and smooth. Top with the orange dough and smooth and flatten and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the dough and refrigerate the dough for a couple of hours at least until the dough is cold and firm enough to cut.
5. Remove the dough from the pan and peel off the plastic wrap. Slice off a slab of dough from the short end of the loaf about 1/2 inch thick. Cut each slice into 5 triangles and place the cookie triangles onto a parchment or Silpat lined cookie sheet. Continue by slicing off one slice at a time and taking that slice to create 5 cookie triangles until you have used up all of the cookie dough. Leave about 1 1/2 inches in between cookies. Sprinkle generously with granulated sugar. Bake one sheet at a time and leave the other cookie sheet in the refrigerator while you are baking off the other. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 12-13 minutes. Let the cookies cool a couple of minutes on the cookie sheet and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.