Triple Orange Scones With Orange GlazePosted: July 1, 2012
These scones are packed with orange flavor. There is triple flavor from orange zest, orange extract and candied orange peel. I had some candied orange peel that I wanted to use up so I got inspired to make scones with a true assertive flavor. If that were not enough I glazed them with orange icing. I really like how these turned out. I hope you will too! Happy Baking, Suzie.
Triple Orange Scones With Orange Glaze
2 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter; cubed
zest of 2 large oranges
1/2 C chopped candied orange peel
1 heaping Cup vanilla low-fat yogurt (I like to use Greek)
1 Lg. egg
1 tsp. orange extract
1-2 Tbsp. cream or half-n-half for brushing top of scones.
1. In a medium bowl; whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. Cut up the butter in small cubes and add it to the flour mixture and blend by hand with a pastry blender; mix in the butter until all of the butter is mixed in but resembles the size of small peas. Add in the candied orange peel and mix with a fork.
3. In a separate bowl; whisk the yogurt, egg, orange extract and orange zest.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in the wet ingredients; mix gently to combine but don’t over mix.
5. Turn out the dough onto a floured board and pat the dough into a 1 inch circle. Cut into 8 equal portions. Brush the top of the scones with half-n-half or cream.
6. Bake at 350º F for about 20 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer the scones to a wire rack to cool. Make the orange glaze. Spoon the orange glaze over the scones. Let cool to set the glaze.
1 Cup Icing (confectioners) sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
In a small bowl combine the sugar and orange juice and whisk to combine until smooth.